Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The First "Real" Day...

Today I got to spend a couple of hours teaching, and now think that I'll survive the year.  These Science, Socials, and Music classes are going to be AWESOME, even if I lose sleep with the prep!  Next week is when the Distance Learning part of my job will kick in, and that will be great, too. More Science and Socials!

Now, I just need to find the right books to read to my fifth and sixth grade Science/Socials class. We're learning in Socials about being good Global Citizens, and what it means to be a "Global Citizen", so I'm thinking books about children living in different parts of the world.  But, not boring books...excellent books, which I will enjoy, too!  For this curriculum the books need to be mostly current, rather than historical.  I sense a trip to Chapters in my future!  Criteria: suitable for 10-12 year olds, acceptable by conservative Christian standards, not used in the Language Arts program, exciting rather than boring...

2 comments:

Ali said...

If you were teaching Socials to students in grades one and two, I would have some excellent African books to recommend. Alas, I think grade five and six students might not find them so interesting. I'll keep my eyes out for any good ones. Also, another thought: Would books about kids with handicaps or disorders work for the theme of being a good Global Citizen? I just bought one called "Mockingbird" by Kathryn Erskine about a girl who has Asperger's. Haven't read it yet, but it looks good. Another book, "My Brother Made Me Do It" by Peg Kehret, is about a girl with pediatric rheumatoid arthritis. Just two suggestions that I can think of right now.

Sounds like you'll be having a fun and busy year!

Shannon said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I will enjoy picking them up to read. Books about kids with handicaps or disorders would absolutely work for the theme...and I'd take your grade one and two recommendations as well, as I'm also teaching classes to the little ones.

I hope you're doing well!